The holidays are just around the corner, and it’s time to get moving on finding a gift for each of the special people on your list. Thimble is a subscription box that teaches robotics and programming, which makes it a perfect present for those who love working with their hands, building things, or someone who is simply curious about electronics and how they work. Read on for five more reasons why a subscription to Thimble makes a great gift to put under their tree this holiday season!
1. The Gift That Keeps on Giving — It’s no question that subscription boxes are trendy right now. A big reason for that is because of the excitement of opening a new box continues month after month…until their subscription expires, at least! When you give the gift of a Thimble subscription, your recipient gets to explore a different new project each month, and the best part is that they’ll think of you every time they dig into that orange box. Thimble projects are tons of fun to work on together, or as a group, too! Any way you slice it, depending on the subscription tier you choose, you’re signing them up for 3 months, 6 months, or an entire year full of joy!
2. Community of Makers — A subscription to Thimble isn’t just a box. It also comes with a digital community of tinkerers who are ready to help share their insight and passion for making cool stuff, right at your recipient’s fingertips. Thimble’s online community forum is what sets it apart from other electronics subscription boxes. The recipient of your gift has the option to join a group of other curious minds as they work through building, coding, and hacking each of the projects together!
3. Open Source — Thimble’s mission is to make electronics and hardware accessible to anyone, no matter their skill level, and that’s why the projects are designed to delight kids of all ages (adults included!) The founders, Oscar and Dave, also strongly believe in the open source movement, which spreads the idea that everyone should get an equal opportunity to make something awesome no matter their circumstances. Thimble was designed so that anyone can take a look at the tutorials and schematic, subscriber or not, by visiting their learning platform. Feel free to have a look to see if the approach is something that your recipient will enjoy! Thimble subscribers can also access the instructions to build their projects from anywhere (as long as they have their computer, tablet, or phone.)
4. Learn Valuable STEAM Skills on a Guided Path — When asked why they subscribed, many of Thimble’s current customers said that they had experimented with programming or Arduino prior to subscribing, but wanted a more guided path to learning and pursuing their passion for electronics and coding. It’s no secret that practice makes perfect, and practicing or learning a new skill is a whole lot easier when there’s a routine attached. A Thimble subscription box will keep your recipient motivated to keep creating something new and fun every month. They won’t be able to wait to show you what they made! Receiving a box every month also helps hone skills acquired from previous projects. If your recipient is a budding engineer, their fire will never burn out because there will always be a new kit on its way.
5. Don’t Just Take Our Word For It! — I know what you’re thinking. This IS a little biased coming from us… but check out what some of our Thimblers have to say about their experience with a subscription to Thimble:
“Lots of excitement here in the McGhee household! I’m 49 and almost quit my job to apply to MIT when my son and I made the robot move! I had visions of Mars Rover 2.0 and interplanetary jet packs! This is such a great idea!”-Will McGhee
“Thimble has done a great job in designing super fun and challenging monthly projects…just wish I had this when I was kid! But now I get to share it with my students. Incredible way to learn the power of Arduino too. Nice work guys!”-John Scarborough
“My ten year old nephew loves his Thimble box subscription. I’m not at all mechanically inclined but the Thimble Learning Platform makes it easy to follow along and help him complete each project. Thanks to Thimble, I’m now the cool — and smart — uncle!”-Justin Azzarella
STILL not sure about giving Thimble as a gift to your favorite tech lover? These gift guides beg to differ! This year, Thimble has been featured in holiday gift guides from Fortune Magazine, Telluride Venture Accelerator, Little Family Adventure, Between Us Parents, and Make: Magazine.
Now, what are you waiting for?!